Half of All Organizations Have Started Traveling Again, Says Survey
By Harvey Chipkin
Fifty percent of organizations have begun travelling again, but with stipulations, according to the third phase of a combined multinational survey by FCM Travel Solutions. The state of the market review was carried out for the company by consulting arm 4th Dimension and consisted of one-to-one, in-depth interviews with 250 customers globally. While half of respondents said they have employees already travelling or booking reservations to travel in the near future, resuming travel will be different for everyone. The combined results of the research show that over 90% of businesses indicated that they planned to travel domestically and on short haul international flights within three months of governments re-opening borders and lifting restrictions such as quarantine. Yet the number of trips taken will likely be lower, as only 26% of businesses are planning to return to their pre-COVID-19 levels for domestic travel during 2021. The remaining 74% of businesses predict reduced domestic travel for the immediate year ahead. Pre-COVID-19, the average number of business trips per traveler was six to eight per year; this number is likely to fall to between three and four trips per person per year until 2023. Clients still have long-haul travel plans on hold indefinitely as they assess the balance between need and safety. Chris Galanty, global corporate chief executive of FCM-owner Flight Centre Travel Group, said it is clear that uncertainty will remain for some time, particularly while governments re-impose border restrictions or quarantine periods.